When you receive a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder, you may have to make some legal decisions. As an individual with ASD, you may require support to make a will, legal decisions, handle your estates, etc. An option may be to have an adult you trust apply to the court to be your guardian and/or committee. Similarly, if you would like to appoint a substitute decision maker, power of attorney and/or health care directive you can do so. However, if you do not, then another adult must apply to the court to be appointed.

For further legal assistance feel free to contact Robin Aitken from Cox and Palmer at 902-629-3910, raitken@coxandpalmer.com or visit their Prince Edward Island location at 97 Queen Street, Suite 600 in Charlottetown. 

Community Legal Information Association (CLIA) is a registered charity that helps residents of Prince Edward Island understand the law and navigate the justice system. They provide confidential, independent, and objective legal information. They pride themselves in making sure clients feel like they are in a safe environment where you can ask questions and get the most current legal information possible, in a language you understand. For more information on CLIA, please refer to their website: https://www.legalinfopei.ca/en/home

The province of Prince Edward Island has set up an organization called Public trustee, Public and Official Guardian. The office was established to help protect the interests of the most vulnerable people in PEI. Their goal is to provide adults with assistance in decision making regarding personal care, legal, and financial obligations as well as:

  • Manage property and financial matters
  • Make personal care decisions
  • Administer or Execute Estates
  • Act as a Litigation Guardian
  • Review insurance settlement for minors or persons with a disability
  • Protect the Legal and Financial Interest of Children under the age of 18 years
  • Establish and maintain infant Trust
  • Protect the legal, financial and personal and health care interest of vulnerable adults who require assistance in decision making
  • Act as an independent interest for minors or persons with disabilities on insurance settlements or in court matters with financial implications to the person
  • Administer the estates of missing or deceased persons

For more information on the Office of the Public Trustee, Public and Official Guardian you can contact them at Phone: (902) 368-6281 Fax: (902) 368-5335 or visit at 1 Harbourside Access Road PO Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, C1A 7N8.